Wednesday, October 24, 2012

More filling fun!

Good Afternoon!!

How are all of you? Hope you’re having a great week! I can’t believe how dreary and rainy it’s been. It is not helping me look forward to winter that’s for sure!! With all the gloominess, it’s a perfect time to light the oven and make a fun treat. These particular cupcakes were for a work get together one of my co-workers hosted last night. The cakes are a bit different than I had anticipated but I’m still pleased with the turnout. I was expecting a dense, heavy cake but it was quite light and fluffy which made for a good contrast with the thick and creamy frosting.  I wanted to try my hand at the filling technique again so here’s a chocolate twist to the recipe! I’m throwing in my fluff-cream frosting recipe again as a refresher!


What you need for the cake:
1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker triple fudge)
1 (4 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix (I used Devil’s Food)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs

What you need for the frosting:
1 pound box of powdered sugar
1 stick of butter (softened)
1 12oz container of marshmallow fluff
1 8oz container of cream cheese (softened)

To make the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line your cupcake tins with liners or grease with Crisco.
3. Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
4. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. On medium-low speed, continue to blend for 2-3 minutes more.
6. The batter will be very thick and should look well combined which. This is a great batter for cupcakes because it’s so easy to fill your tins; the batter doesn’t run all over the place! 


7. Fill your liners 2/3 of the way full.


8. Bake for 23-28 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
9. Allow to cool in the pans on a wire rack before coring. 




Now is the time to start preparing your frosting!

To make the frosting:
1. Blend cream cheese and butter together in a medium bowl.
2. Add all the marshmallow fluff; then powdered sugar in one cup increments until it is of the right consistency for icing your cakes. 

Now you’ll want to go back to your cupcakes and start the coring process. Once again, I’m using my cool tool! :) After my last experience, I realized I didn’t take quite enough out of the cupcake so you’ll notice these cores are a bit bigger.  


After your cores are out, utilize your injector or a piping bag to fill the cupcakes. 


Place your cores back on top (remember to chop about half of the core off so that they fit best). Finally, frost the tops of your cupcakes so they look pretty!




ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment