Saturday, March 23, 2013

Chocolate Cracker Crunch

Sorry for the long hiatus everyone! Work, travel and family have been super busy!! Plus, I was utilizing a lot of the recipes that I've already posted about so I didn't want to be redundant. Don't worry, I'm back in full swing and have two recipes to share with you this weekend! This one is a sweet, simple, no-bake treat that you can whip up in about a half hour! The ingredients may seem odd but believe me, one bite and you'll be hooked!! I didn't alter much of the recipe other than that I added more than what was originally suggested for the topping and I offered another option below. Have fun!!

CHOCOLATE CRACKER CRUNCH BARS

What you need for the crunch bars:
80 Club crackers
Even with a stick of butter...why not save a few extra calories?
1 cup of butter (two sticks)
2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup white sugar
For later- 
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I made this a heaping half cup and would suggest closer to 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup butterscotch chips (same as above with these chips!)
Option- instead of adding extra chips, try mixing in a 1/2 cup of prepared caramel icecream topping...I'm definitely doing this next time!!

To make the crunch bars:
1. Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil (do not grease), leaving an overhang of foil on either end. 
2. Line the foil with 1 layer of club crackers; they should fit pretty perfectly as mine did but if not, just break them to fit.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, milk and white sugar. Bring to a boil and then boil for 5 minutes, stirring often. Your mixture will be thick.
4. Remove from heat and spread half of the butter/graham mixture evenly over your prepared crackers.
5. Place another single layer of crackers evenly over the butter/graham mixture. 
6. Spread the rest of your mixture evenly over crackers. Top evenly with remaining crackers.
7. Now, in a small saucepan, combine peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips. (If you use my caramel option, put that in here now, too!) 
8. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. 
9. Spread evenly over the top of your crackers. Now, pop the pan in the fridge for about an hour. Once cool, lift foil overhang and place bars on a cutting board. 

This is after I pulled them out of the pan.
The foil makes this really easy!
10. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
YUM!!
ENJOY!!
My boys hanging out with NASCAR while I was in the kitchen! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment