Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Chocolate Craving??

Since I’m playing catch up on most of my favorite recipes, I haven’t had a lot of pictures to coincide with the posts. So tonight, I’ll post about the recipe I’m making for Danny’s office tomorrow and include a couple of photos. Since it’s another warm day and I wanted to avoid heating the entire house by lighting the oven, I’m doing another whoopie pie recipe. Danny was told to bring in something chocolate so I searched and searched for the perfect recipe. Usually I do my homework by finding at least three recipes that look good; then I compare and contrast the ingredients switching and swapping where I think it would be appropriate until I come up with what I think looks like a good combination. That’s exactly the case for tonight’s dark chocolate whoopie pie recipe so we’ll have to see how it turns out! To keep things easy (and since I know his office loves it) we’ll be using the fluff cream frosting as filling.

DARK CHOCOLATE WHOOPIE PIES WITH FLUFF CREAM FILLING

What you’ll need for the cookies:
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
3 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
½ cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Fluff Cream Frosting 
To make the cookies:
Plug in your whoopie pie maker to pre-heat while you prepare the batter
Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a small bowl; set aside.
Beat together butter, shortening and sugars in a medium bowl on high until
smooth- about 3 minutes. Add eggs; beat until pale and fluffy about 2 minutes.
Add half of the flour mixture, then the milk and vanilla; beat until combined. Add
the remaining flour mixture. Beat together until combined, scraping sides of the bowl with a spatula if needed.
Drop about a tablespoon into your whoopie wells and bake for 4-6 minutes until they spring back to the touch.
Let the cookies cool completely, then fill with about a tablespoon of the fluff cream filling. Refrigerate overnight if not using the same day.

This recipe made about 36 medium sized sandwich cookies (enough for Danny and me to split between our offices). You can cut this recipe in half to make 12 big whoopies or 18 medium sized. Very yummy if I do say so myself!

Here are a few shots of the cookies, frosting and then all put together! 

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment