Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Let's get spicy!

Okay, time for the second recipe! There may actually be two posts today because I’m going to be baking later for a birthday in Danny’s office tomorrow. You’ll come to realize that most of my baking escapades are for his office. That’s actually how this whole thing started…you see I’ve always loved baking and trying new recipes but with just the two of us at home it’s hard to do because I certainly don’t need 20 whoopie pies or an entire cake just sitting around for us to eat. When Danny first started at Purdue 2 years ago I wanted to be sure everyone there really valued and appreciated him. Now I recognize that desserts don’t necessarily figure out financial budgets and invoicing, but if I could keep all of their sweet teeth satisfied, I figured they wouldn’t get rid of him right off the bat! ;) So, to do my part in making a good first impression, I started baking something for him to bring in about once a week. I got so many compliments from his lovely co-workers that I kept it up and they became my guinea pigs for new recipes. Over time, some of my co-workers learned about the indulgences I’d been making for his office and asked that I start to share my taste testing on them, too! So now I don’t ever have a reason not to bake! Okay, enough of my rambling, down to baking business!

My next recipe was a big hit at a party we hosted back in April. It may sound a little strange but trust me, it is super moist and flavorful. Even the ‘we only like chocolate cake’ boys enjoyed it! I also just HAVE to share this frosting recipe with you. My mom is actually the first to have found this and passed it on to me but we use it with just about anything! Sharing this recipe with you up front is a pretty big reveal on my part because it is just out-of-this-world-good but since I use it with so many recipes that I plan to share with you, I’ll give it up early!  I haven’t met anyone who has not liked this icing. You can doctor it up with different extracts for any cake, cupcake or filling. I promise- it can make just about ANYTHING taste delish!

CARROT PINEAPPLE CAKE WITH FLUFF CREAM FROSTING

What you’ll need for the cake:
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts (these are optional, I did not use the walnuts)
12oz carrots, grated
1/2 cup diced fresh pineapple (I used a bit more because I had extra and it made the cake even more moist)

What you’ll need for the fluff cream frosting:
1 pound box of powdered sugar
1 stick of butter (softened)
1 12oz container of marshmallow fluff
1 8oz container of cream cheese (softened)

To make the cake:
  1. Line your cupcake tins with cupcake liners of grease and flour the wells.
  2. Beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together in the bowl of an electric mixer until light yellow.
  3. Add the vanilla.
  4. In another bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, the cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Toss the raisins and walnuts (if using) with 1 tablespoon flour. Fold in the carrots and pineapple. Add to the batter and mix well.
  6. Divide the batter equally into your cupcake tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.

To make the frosting
  1. Blend cream cheese and butter together in a medium bowl.
  2. Add all the marshmallow fluff then powdered sugar in one cup increments until it is of the right consistency for icing your cakes. 


This recipe made just fewer than 36 cupcakes; you can also do it as two round pans. I dyed the frosting yellow to go with my cupcake toppers and the carrot/pineapple theme. You can do as you please! :)

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment