Sunday, August 19, 2012

Not your average corn muffin

Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay in posting- I was back in Canada this past week. Such a refreshing change in weather- I could be baking without guilt there every day. It was only 40-something in the morning when we got up- my blood was sure not used to that! Anyway, I returned Thursday and Danny and I planned our weekend meals. Although it has not been as cool as Canada, there was still a nice drop in temperatures in West Lafayette that had me thinking fall. I was craving a big pot of chili and corn muffins! I had seen a Pinterest post a while back for jalapeno cheddar corn muffins that looked amazing and I had to give them a try! As always, I’ve adapted the recipe to fit our likes so feel free to do the same. I hope you enjoy the spicy treat as much as we did!

JALAPENO CHEDDAR CORN MUFFINS

What you need for the muffins:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons honey
2 large eggs
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (be careful not to touch your eyes when you do this! I also kept a few of the seeds for a little extra oomph!)
12 jalapeno slices (I used these from a jar since I only bought one jalapeno but you could use fresh)
1/2 cup fresh shredded Parmesan
1/2 cup shredded cheddar, plus more for topping

To make the muffins:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Spray a 12-cup standard muffin tin with Pam or grease (you could also line the muffin tin with paper liners) set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
4. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together the butter, buttermilk, honey and eggs.
5. Pour your wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

6. Add the two cheeses and diced jalapenos and mix until evenly incorporated.

7. Place batter into your muffin tins about 3/4 full.
8. Top with a jalapeno slice and then sprinkle with cheddar cheese.

9. Bake for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment