Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fast Fudge



Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying our first full week of fall! We celebrated the first day of fall this past weekend with cooler temperatures. It was a great time to light the oven and start baking! We made homemade Giordano’s pizzas on Saturday night that were out of this world. I’ll definitely have to share that recipe sometime soon. There was no Purdue game this weekend so it was kind of low key around our house. It was nice to just do some cooking and cleaning and get caught up on household items. On Sunday I came down with a nasty cold so my hopes of cookie and cake baking didn’t quite come to fruition. Instead, I stuck with an easy fudge recipe I’d been wanting to try. It's a perfect mid-week recipe to try because it doesn't take more than a half hour! I’ve seen about three particular fudge recipes that look easy enough and I want to get in some practice before the holiday season to see which one is best.Try them out and let me know what you think!

CHOCOLATE PRETZEL FUDGE

What you need for the fudge:
Nonstick cooking spray
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (16 ounces)
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
2 – 2 and a 1/2 cups roughly chopped miniature pretzel (I wanted to add a little saltiness to the recipe so I chopped up 2 cups of pretzels to mix in. You could do an extra half cup that can go on top when you’re finished but I just mixed mine in. You could also easily leave this out or add in pecans, almonds, crushed up cookies, candies, etc. Any sort of topping that you enjoy!)

To make the fudge:
This is seriously the easiest thing to throw together!
1. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides. (I actually ran out of parchment paper yesterday when making my chicken pot pie so I just Crisco’d the bottom of the pan really good. Once it has sat in the fridge for a while, you can loosen the sides, flip it over, hit the bottom of the pan a few times and it should pop right out!) I would recommend using the parchment if you have it though.
2. Place butter, chocolate chips, condensed milk, vanilla, and salt in a medium heatproof bowl set in a pot of barely boiling water. Stir occasionally until chocolate just melts and mixture is combined and warm but not hot, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of crushed pretzels (or whatever topping you choose). 
3. Transfer mixture to pan and smooth top. (If you chose to put extra pretzels, nuts, whatever on top, now is the time to press 1/2 cup of them on the top. Like I said before, I just mixed it in and didn’t do this part). 
4. Refrigerate until set, about 1-2 hours . Using parchment, lift fudge from pan and onto a cutting boarding; cut into 36 squares.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment