Thursday, September 6, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins



Hi everyone! Happy Thursday! Hopefully you have all enjoyed a shorter week with the Labor Day holiday- only one more day to go! I made these chocolate zucchini muffins this past weekend and have gotten a few requests for the recipe so I thought I would go ahead and share it with y'all! I don’t know about you but this time of year is usually filled with lots of ‘end of season’ zucchini that many of my friends and relatives are trying to give away or use up. Zucchini bread is typically an all-around favorite but since I’ve made it twice this summer already I thought I’d go for something different. There are recipes for zucchini cookies that look yummy and I might give those a try soon; however these chocolate zucchini muffins (or cupcakes if you decide to frost them!) were quite a hit! I didn’t plan to blog this so I don’t have as many pictures as normal but it’s pretty simple to throw together!

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS

What youneed for the muffins:
2 large eggs
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini, gently pressed with papertowel
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

To makethe muffins:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin pan, or line the pan with cupcake liners. I used Crisco and they popped right out of the tins after cooling for about 5 minutes.
2.In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, honey, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and flour, mixing until well combined. Stir in the shredded zucchini (be sure you’ve pressed it gently with a couple of paper towels to dry it out a bit) and chocolate chips.
3.Pour the batter into the muffin pan, filling the cups 3/4 of the way full. 
4. Bake regular-sized muffins for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. (If you’re making mini muffins, bake them for about 10 to 12 minutes.) Let cool for 3 or 4 minutes in the muffin pan before removing to a rack to cool completely.


For me, this recipe made 18 regular sized muffins. If making you want to turn this into a loaf, the recipe suggested one 8.5” by 4.5” loaf and baking for 30-40 minutes.

If you really want these as a sweet treat I'd suggest icing them with the Fluffcream Frosting recipe found here.

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment